Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Sailing Expedition Reflection

I hope you enjoyed your sailing experience and that your time aboard has provided you with some practical experience to accompany the theory we have been studying in class.

For this expedition, one of your formal learning objectives for ADV111 was menu and food preparation for a group. This was one of three group cooking experiences you will have this year. For this blog, please review the goals we set for your meals and spend some time thinking about the following questions before writing.  Also, please address the items outlined using a paragraph structure, rather than individual phrases or incomplete sentences.  Your responses should read as an essay that includes the items listed below, rather than answers on short-answer exam. As always, I am expecting to see evidence of quality time reflecting and writing about your experience.


1. In this blog, please address the following questions:

 Planning
  • List out the goals we established for our meal planning
  • How well did your recipes address your goals? Identify those goals accomplished, and those that could be better addressed next time.  
  • How well did your shopping list reflect what you actually purchased?
Preparation
  • Comment on the quality of your meals.  
  • How could you prepare the meals differently in the future that might better achieve your goals? Consider everything from purchasing ingredients and repackaging to packing and cooking.
  • Did both members of your group have equal responsibility in the preparation? Why or why not?
Presentation  
  • Were your meals well-presented? 
  • What extra steps did you take to provide an appealing presentation?
  • How did you connect participants to the food you presented?


2. Reflect upon your sailing experience on Pedagogy and Rhapsody . Please address the following:

  • How did this experience live up to your expectations?  
  • What were the high points of the trip? What were the low points?
  • How do you feel about your nautical navigation skills as a result of this experience?
  • Compare sailing Pedagogy to sailing Rhapsody and (for Adventure Rec students...) to sailing the Flying Junior dinghies.
  • How do you think you performed individually on the expedition? How do you think you performed as a group?
  • Name one specific example of how you exhibited good "Expedition Behavior" while on your sailing trip.
  • Discuss how you felt you and your team on your boat performed on Monday during the "race".  Include aspects related to route planning, executing that plan, sailing skills, teamwork, communication, and even unloading and unpacking boats and gear.
  • In the form of a "criticism sandwich" (bun, meat, bun), provide feedback on how well this learning experience worked for you.
As I mentioned on Monday, we will not meet for class this Friday.  Check back in with the blog next week as there will be another asignment posted for next Friday, Nov. 8.

3 comments:

  1. The goals we established for our meals his trip included that that the meal should taste good, look good, and be filling. With my meals I tries to "bulk" them up as much as possible in order to make sure they would be more filling, in my soup I added extra chicken as well as vegetables to give the soup not only more flavor but also make it more filling. My shopping list and what I actually purchased were almost identical, the only things that changed was the brand of soup I planned on purchasing due to a better sale!
    The quality of my meals I believe were about what I had expected, for my final meal however I had to change up my recipe a little bit due to not having a lot of additional butter, I wanted to make sure that to other group would have what they needed when it came time for them to prepare their final meal. This being said the only think I would reconsider for our next trip is to bring more of the smaller easier to pack items such as butter so that you know you will have enough when the time comes. When it came to preparation in my group, the three of us decided to kind of "run the kitchen" alone, given the small space we decided that this would be the best strategy so that we wouldn't be getting in each others way while preparing our meals.
    I feel that my meals definitely could have been presented in a better way, I could have done a better job as laying the meal out and serving it. I tried to make sure that both of my meals being dinners had a hot component, I also made sure to provide the entire group with hot water for tea and cocoa.
    My sailing experience aboard Pedagogy was about what I had expected, I had a lot of fun and although spaces were cramped we still made it through as a team, I believe that we each had our own strengths that really made us work well together. I preferred sailing Pedagogy over Rhapsody because it was a more "normal" way for me to steer, I wasn't getting confused as easily as when sailing Rhapsody the way to turn was completely opposite, for example steering left to turn right. On this expedition I started out having a hard time navigating, upon being showed how to use our GPS systems to plot our Latitude and Longitude however it came to me a lot easier and I was able to find out current location a lot easier. As a group I believe we performed well together, some of us had a better understanding at finding out location and doing a DR plot than others so we were able to help each-other through this, also having three of us neve on a sail boat we were able to learn a lot from our other two team members as well as help from Scott and Max. During trip I specifically remember the last day when we docked at Deep Cove, I remember how there was another couple there preparing their boat for winter, as a group we got all of our gear out of the way and began to help them fold up their sails and get them tucked away for them. Also on this last day I believe that we as a group preformed well on navigating our way from Federal Cove back to our destination of Deep Cove. We were able to find our location and plot our DR course, this did however change along the way due to the wind but we were finding or "fix" ever 6 minutes and rerouting as we needed. We worked together as a conveyor belt to quickly and efficiently unload the boat when we got back to the dock in Deep Cove.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hattie Gibbs

    Some of the goals we established was that we needed to keep the food cold, healthy food, fresh veggies every day, snack, warm drinks. I think we did a fairly good job of making recipes that fit the guidelines. But we could have put a little more veggies in some stuff. The quality was good even though we cooked them a week in advance and froze them. Some fresh vegetables in the stew would have been nice but we were trying to stay in budget. Only one of us was really involved in meals because we felt we would have been in the others way.
    Over all the trip lived up to my expectations. One of the high points was when I managed to get the jib in without much cranking. Low point the last night because I had a headache and went out to help with the anchor. It's hard sailing different boats because they steer differently. It was also nice to be able to sail around the ocean and not just the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1...
    Our meal plan goals were essentially to make a meal that tastes good and is nutritious, as well as it being easy to pack.
    I feel that our meals met the requirements fairly well. We had plenty of protein and carbs and everything but we sort of forgot the fruit in some of our meals, just forgot to hand them out or some people didn’t eat them.
    In the end, we did use most if not all our shopping list, I believe the only thing we had leftover were some fruits people don't eat.
    I feel that our meals were very good. Not only were they filling but they also tasted great. Dorys alfredo was bomb.
    I believe we could do better in the future by making sure everyone gets the fruit, it’s important people get their fruit.
    I feel that the participation in my group was like 30/70, I did cook my meals and make one dessert and clean a few dishes but for the most part dory was the main cook, but that was for the best as I can’t cook for anyting, Dory meanwhile is a great cook and she made all of her food delicious.
    I like to think my meal plan and Dorys meals were well presented, We had yummy looking food and had everything laid out, as well as plenty of toppings and condiments.
    We made sure to have the table clean and have everything laid out so it was presentable. We also went for a home cooked meal theme so it felt like home.


    2. My experience went beyond my expectation. To be honest, I didn't expect to have much fun or even enjoy this trip because im sick of the ocean after the kayaking trip. But I did have fun one or two of the days, it was alot better then the kayaking trip and the food was super tasty. Also, sailing was easier than I thought. My high point was probably the last day, stepping off the boat was great, another high point was Dorys Alfredo.
    I'm pretty confident in my navigation skills, I feel like its easier to do it in the field because you have other things to play off of besides just a piece of paper, you can put yourself on the map because you’re there in the moment.
    The two big boats felt basically the same, other then the steering, but I didn't do much of that. As for the small boats, it was way different. It was probably easier to sail big boats then the small one even though it required less activity. Individually, I feel like I did fine. I liked the navigation and thought it was fun doing it on the boats and felt I did fairly well at it. As a group, I did good too, me and Dory were on the ball with navigation and steering the boat. The one example of good EB one the trip was me complementing the groups food. I made sure to tell everyone how good their food is.
    I wasn’t aware we had a race on monday but we didn't die so I assume we did great. We planned a quick and efficient route and followed it to a T. Most of the time we had to tack to make it up wind be once we hit a certain point we were just sailing straight, we went super fast and made it there in time.
    Well I have nothing to really complain about, It was overall a great trip, My lowst point was probably having to get up super early every night but that's just part of it and isn't really something we can do differently so all in all it was great

    ReplyDelete